Thursday, March 22, 2007

Talking points

There's been a bit of discussion recently about global warming - and more specifically Man Made Global Warming (MMGW). Mainly as a result of the program on channel 4 - The Great Global Warming Swindle. This was a privately produced program that was aired on channel 4. Not, as has been stated in some of the American press, made by or broadcast on the BBC.
The show (note I'm not calling it a documentary) aimed to refute all the claims of mankind's involvement in global warming. It was wrong. Now, by that I don't mean that MMGW is absolutely certain, but that's because I was trained as a scientist, and more specifically, a physicist; so I have to acknowledge that there is room for doubt, although if I was as certain of the Lotto numbers as I am about MMGW, I'd put every penny I had on it, and win.
No, what I mean is that the program used inaccurate data, presented it badly, misquoted many of the scientists and generally did a bad job of presenting both sides of the debate. It would take too long to put all the problems here so I'll link to some brilliant pages that handle most of them.
First off, the Met Office's own FAQ page on Climate change. Read this first, and any further questions can be dealt with much easier.
Next, a section from the weather and climate group RealClimate.org, where climate scientists go to relax.
Next, an article from the Independent (which is not my favourite paper, but it's the one they chose to use) about the program.
And finally a short critique on the issue by Sir John Houghton FRS CBE.

Now, if you're involved in a pub based discussion on how global warming is all a ploy by the Met Office to get more funds, you have the knowledge to put down your opponent and make them feel silly.

I've also been made aware of an article on Gillian McKeith, which I think is rather marvelous.

That should do it for now. When I can be objective I'll put something up about intelligent design, but it'll just fire up the blood if I do.

No comments: