Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Catch up entries 1

First entry written on about the 27/10/08

I can't really remember why I started this blog, I think it was probably just to keep friends up to speed with what was happening to me. I wasn't expecting anyone to read it, although it's nice that you do.
Anyway, I'm sat on a train heading to London, it's a sunny day with little cumulus clouds over the Cotswolds and it feels great to be travelling again. This strikes me as odd; less than ten days ago I was flying in business class across the Atlantic, yesterday I was driving back from Birmingham, so why does it feel so good to be moving again? It's not like I've had enough time to be in one place to get bored! I think Matt T had the measure of it over the weekend – I love travelling! Not just the seeing new places or revisiting favourite old ones, but the very action of travelling can be good. Admittedly, I'm in an economy seat (not the table one I'd booked either) and as it's half term there weren't any cheap tickets and there are too many kids for my personal tastes but even so, I'm speeding through the country with sun lit houses and open, autumnal countryside passing by, the music on my iPod is great and thanks to Sian I've got loads of extra music to sort though and rate. Might be able to pick up some decent software in the City as well, but we'll have to see how that goes.
When I was looking at having the two weeks off after flying back up north my plan was to visit as many of my friends as possible but I was half expecting not to be able to see any of them. Turns out I was wrong, even managed to get some quality time with my brother and a bit of culture as well!
I just sometimes feel when I'm visiting friends that I don't do enough. I know everyone will tell me I'm being an idiot, and in truth if anyone visited me I'd expect nothing except their presence, but still, I like giving people things, even for no reason. A fluffy penguin or fridge magnets seem small thanks for a quality time, but then I'm a bit daft about things like that.
On a different note, I'm going to try to do something with the pictures from the Falklands, even if it's just providing some unusual background images for anyone that wants them. Once I'm back up with my own net connection I'll see what's around online that you can enter photos in, competitions perhaps, although I think only about 6 of the shots would be worth entering in anything. Having said that, there's a magazine that takes pictures that people have uploaded and gives pointers on how to get better, and that is definitely something I'm going to look into. I don't want to sound cocky but I think with a bit of work I might keep surprising myself with the photos. I might even have a bit of a talent. And if not, then at least I'll have some fun on the way.

No comments: