Friday, March 11, 2011

Falklands 2010

So, second time down and a few things were different. I already knew some people down there, I had a girlfriend down there and I knew what I was doing.
That, at least, was the plan.
Turns out it took me much longer than it should have to get my mind in to the local weather and I've already mentioned that Kate and I broke up half way through the tour.

Although I didn't see any penguins I did see some other birds:



A turkey vulture at Goose Green, the second largest settlement in the Falklands, not counting Mount Pleasant. Population: about 35.

Ugly bugger up close. Which is probably what he thought of me.



This little fella was chilling inside a wreck at Goose Green, he's a night heron. Lovely, isn't he?


Sometimes called the military starling or the Falklands robin, I didn't capture just how damn RED the breast is on this Long Tailed Meadowlark. At least I think that's what it is; the chest is amazingly vibrant.


No visit would be complete without a striated caracara. This one wouldn't take off, just sat there, posing.



Just east of Stanley, this is Surf Bay, nice break, beautiful water and really white sand, it's probably a good thing you can't see that I'm wearing a full down jacket, gloves and hat. The water is about 4 degrees, rising to 8 at the end of summer.
I couldn't get to this beach last time owing to the mines that kept washing up on the beach. It's cleared now, or so they told me.


And this was a night in the Crab And Sprocket that started when Humf and Paul said "Fancy a drink?"
I think the details are self explanatory.

I'm aiming to get back down later in the year, but that might depend on some news due out of head office in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: