Saturday, May 27, 2006

nostalgia revisited

So, to expand on the post from before Doctor Who (good programme), back at uni we'd head out and find something to do on a day. We might go body boarding or snorkeling, we might go luging on street luges, well one luge and take turns. We might go climbing or just chill on the beach or in the park. Sometimes we went wind surfing or just wandered with friends around town, laughing at all the scallies and townies.
These days, mainly due to the fact that my nearest friend, not counting the guys from the IFC (Initial Forecasting Course, the six months in Exeter where we learnt to forecast the weather), is in south Scotland. For anyone reading this (?) that's about 210 miles from here and that's just a bit too far. Oddly enough, I'm almost 210 miles from all my friends. So, I can either find things to do on my own or make new friends/do things with newer friends.
Don't get me wrong on this, the guys from the MOC are great but for me a friend is something specific. I've got mates, people I enjoy being with and that includes the IFC lot and most of the guys from work, but I haven't really spent any time with them outside of work; but a friend, with an emphasis that I can't put into text, for me is something greater.
A friend is a mate that I could sit for hours with, without speaking and neither of us feeling that this would be wrong, a friend is someone that I'd climb with by choice, not necessity (if this doesn't give an idea of the level of trust, you've never gone climbing), someone that I would travel halfway round the world to help, and is someone for whom I'd die for, and probably kill to protect. Given that I'm in a job where I might have to do that for the government (VERY unlikely but a possibility) that last should be taken with an understanding that for the Ferret, Tash, Tanner, Andi, D'Abs, Sara Jules, Ria and the rest of the guys there'd be no thought involved, I have love for them and place their lives above mine.
That little list isn't conclusive, but has made me realise that I've got more friends than I thought, which is always a nice feeling.

No comments: