Sunday, September 03, 2006

Nimrod, the mighty hunter. Rest eternal grant unto them.

Wanted to post something on this, a RAF Nimrod went down in Afghanistan a couple of days ago, killing all 14 on board. I don't know anyone on the flight (although I was worried for a while) but my heart goes out to the families, friends and colleagues of those that died. Nimrod are intelligence gathering aircraft and fly at high altitude so the chance of it being shot down is slim.
Should we need to be there? No.
Are we needed there? Sorry, but I believe that yes, we are needed there. And until the job is done and we can leave in peace, we must remain there. This is the price of being a nation with a conscience and the ability to do something about what happens 4000 miles away to people we will (generally) never meet. This is part of the reason I go to work and do what I do.
Comments to the usual address.
Jim.

No comments: