Saturday, March 15, 2008

Little bit hungover right now

First off, cheers to Morgan for pointing out that I've been misspelling caffeine for two years.
At the mess last night heard some great tales and had a great time. Have a type 2 hangover right now and was worried when I got up because I had made a load of comments on facebook when I got back in.
Having a look at them I think they're okay but I really shouldn't drunk type.
In case you're wondering, there are 6 levels of hangover.
  1. In a type 1 you have a little bit of a headache but nothing special, probably don't even need an aspirin.
  2. Now you want an aspirin/fizzy-headache-cure of your choice. You've got a mild headache, your stomach feels a bit off-colour but give it a couple of hours and you'll be fine.
  3. This one is what my friend used to call a "hangover in the form of poo." It's worse than a type 2 but only until you go to the loo, at which point everything clears up.
  4. Here things start getting serious. Your stomach is growling, your head is pounding and you don't want to be moving much.
  5. By this point you're swearing off booze forever. Your head isn't pounding, it's a constant pain. Your stomach is not your friend - it's trying to eat itself. If you decide to stand up (fool!) you'll soon sit down again, trying to move is a bad idea.
  6. This is the biggy. It's self inflicted so don't expect people to be sympathetic, although it would be nice if they were. Your head and gut will be horrific, light should be avoided, pure water is a waste - I'd recommend fruit juice. Stay in bed, you're not going anywhere.
There's the old rule that four o'clock is the magic time when a hangover will clear but that only counts for type two and four. Type 5 can only be cleared by sleep and type six is a two day suffering that can only be cured on Sunday afternoon in the pub with friends, by which point you'll be drinking soft drinks with your roast lunch.
This brings me onto hangover cures - there are none! If you can be cured, any cure will work. My preference is alka-seltzer xs, but at the moment nurofen is enough. Replacing electrolytes and re-hydration drinks help but as my dad once told me, the only thing that cures a hangover is 24 hours with sleep. Once you get in, you're not actually asleep. You're not conscious but it's not proper sleep, that comes later. Mixing drinks will usually make the hangover worse, it's a chemical imbalance after all and different types of drink will have different effects on your blood chemistry.

Not sure why I'm blogging this, but I just felt like putting it down.

Anyway, hopefully England will play the rugby better today than last weeks abysmal performance against Scotland.

No comments: