Friday, August 01, 2008

Queen of the skies

Had a couple of days off last week and managed to get up for a flight. Well, I say "managed," I got back to find a note shoved under my door that the aircrew had called us up and asked if we had anyone that would want to go flying so it wasn't me at all...

Anyway, we went up in a VC-10


and flew around for a bit, refuelling a couple of Tornado F3s

then playing "target" for them, (yes the nav is waving)
before we went around the Islands at fairly low level

and did a pass over Stanley and a few practice landings at MPA.
During this time, we (Yvonne, myself and a few others from the camp) had the chance to sit in the jump seat of the cockpit for one of the touch-and-go landings.

(I can't remember but I think in the two pictures to the right the crew are going "What's that?" "What?" "Up there?" "Oh crap, I dunno!"
That's where they touch down then power on and take off again. Smoother than most other aircraft I've been on, and more power as well, but then the idea of the VC-10 was "let's take an airliner and strap on four fighter engines!"


Managed to get a picture of the base and, 0ddly enough, in this image, I CAN see my house (well room) from here!

Didn't get any pictures from the seat cause I was too busy enjoying myself! Maybe next time.

No comments: