Sunday, September 21, 2008

Volunteer Point and two new kinds of penguin.

I went to the northeast of the Islands today, to a place called Volunteer Point. It was windy but the sun was shinning.
We saw lots more penguins, the usual Gentoos
but also Magellanic
and King penguins.
I didn't get all the pictures I wanted, half way through I made a mistake with my camera and got the shutter speed too low, resulting in camera shake. Some of the pictures I got were alright though. Well, I think so, what do you think?
One of the things that was quite funny was that people would be focused on the birds in front of them and not notice others just behind them.
Kings live for around 20 years and can dive to around 1000 ft on their 500 mile hunting trips - that's 500 miles in each direction...
They feed their young for about 18 months until their first fluffy feathers drop off and the smooth ones for swimming come in. The youngsters are the ones covered in fluffy brown feathers.
The 'guins around this time of year were just about to moult, in one case already moulting.
So then it was back to the mess for tea and toasties.

1 comment:

Strawberrypip said...

Jealous? moi? naaaah....
..ok, yeeeeaaah, i am!