Thursday, June 01, 2006

What's the RAF?

Silly title, especially as google is just a click away (isn't FireFox grand?)
The Royal Air Force. You can tell it's British because it doesn't say what country it's from. You get that alot, it's The Times, The Royal Mail, The Royal Air Force, the Football Association. Mostly the first of their kind, and just arrogant enough to assume that you know it's British.
Anyway, this is just to set a few ground rules about what I can say and why.
I work at an RAF base in England. I'm a civil servant, so while officially I work for the government, it's in the same kind of way that a fisheries agency bloke does. The ministry of defense (MoD) pays for a weather service at all the stations that it flies out of (except if it's just gliders) and so the UK has a weather service with usually 24 hour coverage weekdays where ever there's a flying station.
I can probably tell you which station, but I won't mention it too much, and I can say which squadrons are at the station, in general but I can't say which aircraft are there at any one time. I can't say who visited/where the aircraft are going/when things are happening, for obvious security reasons.
Terrorism isn't new. I grew up with the threat of groups like IRA, UDF, ETA, the Red Army Faction (why you never said RAF in Germany) and all those other b@st@rds that waltzed around in Europe in the eighties and nineties. It's just in the last 5 years that some countries have realised what it means to fund an agency of murder and that it is not a good thing. The security measures on this site are rudimentary, and while it may be tiresome, I'll not be dropping them. Hope you understand.
Jim

No comments: