Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Beep test...

Okay, I knew I was unfit. I know I AM unfit, but less so now. I thought I was worse than I am. Somewhere in there is a sentence. The beep test (multi stage fitness test or shuttle run test, call it what you will, I call it EVIL) is a method of gauging aerobic fitness. I was correct that it uses points 20 m apart, although I've heard that certain police forces use 15 m for their spacing. I was incorrect in the first instance that the initial speed is 8 or 8.5 kph (5 mph). The initial increase is 1 or 0.5 kph respectively and from then on the increase is 0.5 kph per minute. See here for more information. This means that I've got further to go, but it also means that I can aim better for the target.
On the plus side, my weight is coming down, recently by about 1.5 kg per week (about 3 lb), which I'm going to try and continue for another 6 weeks or more. I read that varying meal times and types helps the body burn fat better, no worries, I'm on shifts so things are ready mixed, time wise. Would rather have passed the selection first time through though.
Today at work we had some pilots in from a visiting squadron and I was briefing them on the weather conditions where they wanted to fly. I was giving them the best information I could, but all the time I was thinking "Gits. I'd give my right nad to be doing your job." Don't get me wrong, I love this job, but they fly multi million pound jets at low level at almost the speed of sound, more if they feel like it. I was talking to a mate up north and he messed up his RAF selection for aircrew in much the same way that I did. We were wondering what life would have been like, had we not fluffed so much of the selection and made it as air crew.
Maybe in another world.
Ah well, it's like I said to the pseudo-Buddhist on Cheltenham high street when he asked me if I was interested in "his" way (they were actually selling books on self awareness), "I've got a path, I follow my feet, do the job in front of me and then move on." This is the job in front of me, and this is what needs to be done. Now if I can just stop the top from rubbing when I'm running, suggestions to the usual address.

No comments: