Sunday, July 23, 2006

Learning to drive all over again

After doing some skid pan training in the south led me to try and join the institute of advanced motoring and get some training as a better driver. So I joined via the "skill for life" package, mainly as I got a £10 discount for being under 25. Tried to get training started while I was down in Exeter but time was against me so I started my training two weeks ago. Had my second drive yesterday. The observer I'm with reckons I won't need too many sessions, but I've only got 5 weeks left here before I head north. There's a group up in Lossie but I'd like to get it sorted before I go up. Doubt I'll do it in time though.
So, what does advanced driving require over and above the normal "L test" driving that everyone does. Assuming here that everyone drives well enough to pass their test if they re-took it today. There is a system of car control consisting of five processes, Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration. They say that the helpful phrase "IPSGA" will help to remember this. How IPSGA is easy to remember I'm not sure. What this means is you receive and give information as needed, looking as far ahead and behind as possible and signaling if needed; getting into the correct position for the hazard (anything except a clear open straight road), getting to the correct speed for the hazard, putting the car into the correct gear for the speed before the hazard and then using the accelerator to maintain the same speed through the hazard. And then it goes on. Things like looking under cars for feet, moving across the road more to accommodate other drivers and cyclists. Makes driving more intense and more involving, but needs more concentration.
Unfortunately, well, understandably, speeding is NOT tolerated. At all. 5 mph over the limit is a fail. Now, I'm not too bad at most speed limits (honest) especially 30 mph ones but this is an absolute rule. Coming up to a 30 limit from a national, you hit 30 at the sign, but not too far in front as that's bad form. Going the other way you are still at 30 when you pass the national limit sign. Then you hoof it to get to the safe speed for the conditions (car, road, weather and other traffic) up to the limit as fast as reasonable. So staying in third until you hit 60 then straight into fifth gear. On motorways you do 70, or less if the conditions warrant it, which sucks. I know the limit is 70, but I believe that it should be higher, dependent on the conditions, so weather variable limits effectively.
Well, apart from hitting the gym yesterday, that's been it this week. Work was good, correctly forecast the storms (in general terms), but I did miss a fog warning, which was a bit of a mess up on my part.

No comments: