Sunday, July 30, 2006

My tiny car.

After the post about driving, I thought I should give a bit more information on my "mighty steed". I drive a Daihatsu Charade, which is a "city car". For the Americans amongst you, that's a car that will fit into the load bay of Ford F series truck. It's small. City car is the grade below "supermini" which is smaller than "mini". There aren't many cars smaller, the Smart car and the Fiat Cinquicento are, but not many others.
When I bought it, well, started paying for it, I hadn't passed my test yet and needed a cheap, efficient little car that would be easy to drive. The Charade fulfills these criteria brilliantly. Four six foot adults will fit in relatively comfortably and the car will do the ton (100 mph) four up, it just takes a while to get there.
Contrary to many, many reviews, it is fun to drive but lacks space and pace. It's got a three cylinder one litre engine that will go 0-60 in about 13 seconds, so it's not going to give you whiplash when you put your foot down but it's a fun little go-cart to drive. For reference for the Americans, it does about 60 miles to the gallon, a gallon over here costs about £4.50, or 96.9 pence per litre, which at the current rate of 1.88 Dollars to the pound, gives a cost of $8.45 per gallon. Fortunately it's band B for road tax (compulsory tax in the UK) which is only £40 per year.
The boot space is tiny (especially mine, which has an amplifier and twin 6x9 speakers) but you can fit six months worth of your life into the back of it. This I know because I've had to do it on numerous occasions, and will again in about a month.
I would like a bigger car, maybe a Volvo XC70, a Mitsubishi L200 Animal or a 4x4 of some kind, but until I get more of the car paid off I'll be sticking with the Charade. It's a reliable little run-around, it's a Daihatsu so should be running when my niece is learning to drive.
Just thought I'd clear up some of the comments I might make about the car.

No comments: